Web accessibility - WCAG model
FEW WORDS ABOYT WEB ACCESSIBILITY
Web accessibility aims at enabling all users to have equal access to information and functionalities on the web. More specifically, web accessibility means that people with all abilities and disabilities can perceive, understand, navigate and interact with the Web.
Accessibility of digital information is a technically and legally ensured right in national and international level.
Web accessibility benefits people without disabilities too (the elderly, injured etc). The main principle of web accessibility is the design of flexible software, in order to satisfy a great variety of needs, preferences and user behaviors.
It is important to cover all forms of disabilities that may affect the navigation:
- Visual: font size adjustment & color combinations, alternative text for images, text to speech conversion
- Acoustic: Alternative text for audio files and video.
- Physical: Navigation using only the keyboard or only the mouse.
- Cognitive – mental: Plain & simplified content layout.
Using international technical standards, the accessibility bar “Eucleides” offers the above possibilities, providing new navigation possibilities for people with disabilities, covering some of their needs.
a) OHE: Convention on Rights for people with disability
b) Ε.Ε.: 1083/2006/ΕΚ
c) Greece: Ν.4074/2012, N. 3979/2011
d) W3C: WCAG 2.0.
WEB ACCESSIBILITY BAR USER GUIDE
The accessibility bar "Eucleides" is activated or deactivated by clicking the realative icon or by pressing the "0" button. Hovering the mouse for 2 seconds above each icon, will display details for the corresponding functionality. The bar consists of four (4) menu:
- User guide
- Send feedback
- Page shortcuts
- Navigate through TAB
- Keyboard shortcuts
- Website structure
- Ανάγνωση σελίδας
- Text to speech
- Change contrast
- Font size
- Highlight text
- Settings When the icons are highlighted with yellow color, it means that the corresponding functionality that is enabled, stored and is executed every time the page loads.
- Settings information
- Reset settings